2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Internet Connection Settings to new compute (XP Pro SP 1)

I'd like to update Windows XP and Norton AntiVirus on my new computer before transferring over all my files from the old computer. Without using Microsoft's "FAST" (Files And Settings Transfer), is there a simple way to copy my old Internet connection settings to my new computer via diskette? What file(s) do I copy, and to what directory / directories on the new computer do I copy them? (Old computer runs Windows 98, Second Edition; new computer runs Windows XP Pro SP 1).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Moving Internet Connection Settings to new compute (XP Pro SP 1)

I'd not trust a simple copy even if you could find it. It is likely that format and settings have changed betwenn OSes. IMHO, you'd be better off writing down the old settings and entering them as required on the new PC.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree with Joe, I have had problems on most transfers, that I have given up on using them, Not only that it forces users to know their accounts and passwords.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Look in these folders:

Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftNetworkConnectionsPbk

and

Cocuments and Settings<Your Username>Application DataMicrosoftNetworkConnectionsPbk

The file(s) rasphone.pbk seem to have a text format version of whatever might be in the registry. However, I haven't actually tried to move them anywhere other than from one user profile to another, so I'm not sure that they can be moved between machines.