3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing Default User Name

I am cleaning a computer that has been used on a network. I have opened Network Properties from the Control Panel, and change the Primary Network Logon to Windows Logon to remove my network domain but I am having problems getting rid of the User Name Default. I have tried deleting the name and leaving the field blank and rebooting. I have tried changing the name to something generic like "Computer!" and rebooting. But each time the computer comes back up it comes up with the original user name. How can I remove this name? Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Removing Default User Name

You did NOT state what OS you trying to do this to.
    If it is NT, 2000 or XP, NO you can NOT remove "Default" as well as Administrator and All users. One can NOT use "Default" or "All Users" to log in with. They are for System use only.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Are you cleaning it to re-use it? Or get rid of it? If it is to get rid ot it why not just format the disk?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Pam

I'm not exactly sure that I have what you're looking for, but try either <!mskb=310125>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 310125<!/mskb> or (for NT4) <!mskb=114463>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 114463<!/mskb>.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide.

Sorry, guys for not giving the OS. I realized that after making the post. It is a '98 and I am giving it away. I was trying to clean it of everything but the OS.
    I did find the answer to my question using Google search from this website http://www.toejumper.net/speed5/pass5.htm "Disable your user profile by restarting your PC. When you see the logon system box, click Cancel. Now open Control Panel, click Passwords, and select the "User Profiles" tab. Select "All Users Of This PC Use The Same Preferences And Desktop," and click OK. Restart Windows, and user profiles are officially disabled. Now, get rid of the logon system box. Go back into Control Panel and into the Passwords applet, and click on "Change Passwords." Click the "Change Windows Passwords." On the "Old Password" line, enter your password. Press Tab to highlight the "New Password" line, then hit Enter (you leave the new password blank). You should see a message telling you that your password has been successfully changed. Now you'll want to delete your user profile information. " This worked well so that now when the computer boots up there is no User Login Dialog Box.