Star Lounger
    Thanks

Retrieve SLQ dbase Data thru Excel (2000)

I need to retrieve data from an SQL dbase via the click of a command button.

I got it to work creating an MS Query and having the command button call up the MS Query file and run it, but the MS Query file is a separate file I would have to have in a generic location on the WAN that all employees that use the spreadsheet would be able to access. This is a problem.

Therefore, I would like to query the SQL data from vba code hooked to the command button. I took the Select statement created by MSQuery and copied it into a VBA module, then tried adding the other necessary code to open the dbase, run the query, and retrieve the data, looking at examples in the Excel VB help. I'm not getting any errors, or any results. Below is the module code:

Sub ImportFromLAmacro()
    databaseName = "PCS.dbo.LALoanAppInfo"
    queryString = _
    "SELECT LALoanAppInfo.LoaAppID, LALoanAppInfo.AppDate, LALoanAppInfo.LastName, LALoanAppInfo.FirstName, LALoanAppInfo.MI, LALoanAppInfo.SS# FROM PCS.dbo.LALoanAppInfo LALoanAppInfo WHERE (LALoanAppInfo.LoanAppID=?)"
    chan = SQLOpen("DSN=" & databaseName)
    SQLExecQuery chan, queryString
    Set output = Worksheets("ImportFromLA").Range("A1")
    SQLRetrieve chan, output, , , True
    SQLClose chan

End Sub

Is there enough information here you can help me figure out what I have wrong?

Thanks!
    Patty

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Retrieve SLQ dbase Data thru Excel (2000)

The problem is hard to diagnose without your actual system.
    But you should not need to save the sql query, it should also be stored within the workbook (unless you need to enter parameters).

Try recording a macro whilst you manually query the database. That should get you the proper syntax of the connection string.

You could also use my QueryManager to display the sql string and the connection string from an existing (working) query. Find my query manager at:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/QueryManager.zip
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I finally found somebody in house that helped me get the connection string right. Although we worked for a long time using the SQL commands, he ended up redoing the macro in ADO - which turned out much easier. ( When I looked up the SQL in the help file it gave me the SQL commands, not the ADO information, so that's where I started.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a good reference site about ADO:

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...odao/index.htm
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association