New Lounger
    Thanks

Query Calculations (2002)

Hi

I'm fairly new to Microsoft Access so my knowledge of how to perform some functions is pretty limited. My boss has asked me to create a program for the company that will work on many levels.

Presently I'm designing and inventory control system. I have and inventory table (tInventory) set up that list all of the materials we have and the quantity of each we have in stock. I also have an assembly table (tAssembly) that lists what materials and the amounts that are required to manufacture a customers product. These two tables are in a many-to-many relationship.

The problem I'm having is trying to get the calculation of stock in the query back into the inventory table. The calculation I'm using right now is,

New Stock: [Quantity In Stock] - [Quantity Required] * [Quantity Ordered]

That part of the calculation is working. I cannot seem to figure out how to put the answer of the calculation into the inventory table.
    Is this event possible to do?

Thanking you in advance

Julia
    Assistant Office Manager

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Calculations (2002)

You can change a query into an update query (menu option Query | Update Query). This will add a new line to the query design grid: Update To. In the column for Quantity in Stock, enter the expression to calculate the new quantity in the Update To line.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried to do an update query several times trying different things in the Update To line. I haven't been able to get it to work. When I enter an expression to calculate the new quantity I always get a message telling me that it's invalid.
    Any suggestion?

Thank you,
    Julia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You do need to take the label out of the expression in your prior post when you make it an update query - have you done that?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

It worked!!!!
    Thank you both for your help. It was much appreciated

Julia