New Lounger
    Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, USA

Shortcuts on desktop try install access (Office 2000)

When I try to click on any shortcuts on my desktop linking to an access database file, form or report. It tries to install access. If I go to Start Programs, Access and look for the file I can open it fine. It dosen't do this with any other Office program, only access. I have admin privilages but do not maintain the office disks. Is there any way to fix this problem

Bronze Lounger
    Arlington, Virginia, USA

Re: Shortcuts on desktop try install access (Office 2000)

Recommend review this MSKB article and see if it applies:

ACC2000: Double-Clicking Shortcut to Access 2000 Object Starts Access 97 Instead

According to article, "Symptoms" include:

"When you double-click a shortcut that points to a Microsoft Access 2000 database object, the Windows Installer starts, and then you receive the following error message:

Cannot find the file '<drive>:<path><filename>' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. "

One solution is to ensure that the shortcut includes the full path to MS Access executable, along with name of file, etc. See article for example and further information. If this article does not apply to your situation, I do not have any other suggestions.