Thanks

Truncation of data from Access query

I set up a database results region based on an Access query that returns the text of a Memo field, prepended with a parenthetical containing some additional data. When displayed in the browser, only the first 255 characters come through.

The Knowledge Base didn't seem to list anything relevant under Frontpage 2000. Under Access 2000, various truncation problems are noted with exporting data to Excel. For example, when an expression creates text in excess of 255 characters, it does not export properly. The suggested workaround is to first append the data to another table, formatted as a memo field. (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q207/6/68.ASP>Q207668</A>)

This was not particularly practical for me in this case, because FP's database functionality doesn't let me perform multiple queries directly. So, I added a column to the query and have to get someone to rejigger this page in FP (it is no longer published from my PC). Fun!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Truncation of data from Access query

Hi Again!

I saw this post during a search. I'm now looking for code that will allow me to send data that is in a table (it comes from an access database) on a page to excel. It's not actually form, but a table on a page.

Thanks,
    Leesha

Thanks

Do you want the user to be able to save the data as an XLS, or does the page need to send the data to an existing XLS file? The first should be easier, especially if a .csv file is sufficient or you can require the use of IE and the Office Web Controls. The second seems as though it will be very difficult. You don't need a form because JavaScript can submit the data in the table, but on the back end, I'm not aware of any easy way for a web application to edit an existing Excel file.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Hi,

My goal is to have the user save the data in the table to excel. Low and behold I found neat little plug in today that is working great! Here's the link in case anyone would like it.
    It's called Content to Export. I just tried it with my web and am thrilled!!!! It is inserted into the web as a plug-un. The user simply right clicks the table and chooses export to excel!

http://www.jimcosoftware.com/addins.aspx