2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2000 file crashes on Windows 98 (Access 2000 / Windows 98)

I developed an Access 2000 database on Windows XP using Office XP. It works just fine on Windows XP. When I open it on Windows 98, I get the startup form (frmLogin). I can choose the username, enter the password, and choose the region name (i.e. my front-end does interact with my Access 2000 back-end). However, when I click the login button (which executes code), the database crashes. Has anyone had a similar experience and, can you offer advice?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 file crashes on Windows 98 (Access

Do you get any error messages when it crashes?

Can you by-pass the login form, by opening the database with the shift key down?

It is quite possible that there are missing References. If you can get to the VBA Editor, check Tools..References. You may find some with "missing" because the references are set to the ones that apply to the XP machine. If so, delete the reference, then scroll down the list and find the equivalent one from those available.

What about the path to the back end. Do you have the same path on both machines, or is the data on yet another machine?
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 file crashes on Windows 98 (Access 2000 / Windows 98)

Is Office 2000 properly installed on the 98 machine? Are you using anything like the calendar control or the common dialog control? Are you referencing the Office library object? There are a bunch of things that will be different on the 98 machine, and since Office XP uses a different version of ADO than Office 2000, that may be the place to start looking.

PS/ just because you developed something in 2000 file format doesn't really insure that it is fully compatible with 2000, especially on a different operating system. The references will be to the XP version libraries.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I've seen this same behavior with reports. What I discovered is that if you open the objects in design mode in 2000 and save them, then the database will work OK. A strange thing related to doing 2000 development using Access 2002.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I realized after posting that I should probably check for missing references. I don't have easy access to do so because it's on my client's machine. What I did when I delivered the application was create a new database on her computer, import all of my objects into it, and reset my options and stuff. It was a pain, but it worked. It's not such a big deal b/c they're supposed to switch over to XP soon and then we'll all be on the same page (sort of). Thanks for all of your suggesions. I just assumed that setting the default file format to Access 2000 will make my database compatible with Office 2000 on Windows 98. But things are never so simple right [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]