terryt

How to download saved e-mail

Prior to my pc being reformatted by my pc shop, I downloaded all my e-mail messages (~.dbx files) from my hard drive (C:WindowsApplication datadata files{EE64A etcMSOutlook Express) to a Zip disk. When I got my pc back I downloaded the files from the Zip back to the same place on my hard drive. Question: How do I reinstall the files/messages back into my Outlook Express folders so that my Outlook Express (vers 5.00) is the way as it was before the pc reformatting? I've looked at "MS Product Support Pages -How to Back up and Recover Outlook Epress Data (Q270670) but it doesn't help me...or else I'm too silly to see it. I have tried a few things but nothing works and last time I nearly mucked up the whole thing so I gave up playing. Please give step by step instruction/advice as I'm not that experienced in this stuff. I'm using Windows 98 SE. Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to download saved e-mail

see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tomsterdam.com>http://www.tomsterdam.com</A> for the steps.

my method is to add folders for all the backed up files (name the folders using the part before the .dbx) then close express and copy the saved files in to replace the ones i just created. when i reopen, the mail is restored.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Probably too late to be of much help now, but for future reference, try this :

terryt

Sorry Mary, try as I may I don

terryt

MerC, thanks for your reply. I have done what you suggested so hopefully I will not have the bother I am in presently. Terry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

when you created the folders in express, files were created on the harddrive to match each folder. replace those files with the files you saved on the zip.

open windows explorer. find the new dbx files on your hard drive, drag the older files from the zip to the folder where the new dbx files are stored.

terryt

Mary, Yes, Yes, Yes, I have done it and, more importantly, understand it. (One of my other problems was that when I got back my reformatted pc I received 'new' email for several weeks before I thought about reinstalling my 'old' email from the Zip. Now, with your help, I successfully have gone through a series of steps to consolidate my old and new email messages (incl renaming .dbx files and creating dummy folders in Outlook Express). Ah, I already feel better about life. Thank you for the help. Terry