2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE Access Problem (WIN XP PRO)

I have lost the facility to be able to click on my Desktop IE Shortcut icons and go to the URL designated in the Shortcut

I can however get to the Internet using the Quick Start IE icon which has its Home site set to www.google.com.au

From there I can then enter the URL of any one of my Desktop Shortcuts in the Address window and reach that URL OK

I've checked all the Desktop Shortcuts' Properties and they all show the correct URL information, but when I try to use them they give me the Error message -

"Windows cannot find http://www.wopr.com
    Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again
    To search for a file click the Start button and then click Search"

I thought it might be a "Cookie" problem, but I have set the Cookie to the Default which allows All Cookies, but this doesn't fix the problem

One thing that may have affected some setting which is now doing this "Blocking" is that I was trying the Mozilla Firefox v0.7 and Thunderbird email programs, but decided not to change from IE and OE, so I "Uninstalled" Thunderbird and then after that when I clicked on any of my Desktop Shortcut icons, I got the above Error message

I then tried to regenerate new Desktop Shortcut icons by goung to the URL in the manner explained above and "Sending" the open URL to the Desktop as a Shortcut

When I then went to the Desktop and tested this new Shortcut, I got the same Error message again

Can anyone tell me what has gone wrong and how I can recover/regenerate my Desktop Shortcuts and regain my sanity

Awaiting guidance

Cheers n Tears
    Max Rieper

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE Access Problem (WIN XP PRO)

For one thing, I would completely clear the cache (Temporary Internet Files). You can do that in IE (Tools/Options/General/delete files...).

Go to Start/Settings/Folder Options/File Types/ & scroll to URL: File Protocal. See if it looks like the attachment.
    Hope this helps,
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil

I'm sorry to say that replacing the commands as shown in your attachment didn't fix the problem

When I click on any of my URL Shortcut icons I still get the same Error message as before

Any more ideas please ??

Cheers n Tears
    Max

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Max, try the information in this post and see if it resolves the problem you are having. I suspect that you made FireFox the default browser for a time, and have now reverted to IE - and that is where your problems began?

An alternate thing to try would be to go into the Tools - Internet Options from within Internet Explorer and tick the box that reads "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" and then restart IE. I have my doubts that this will do anything, but it's worth a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark

I checked your first suggestion and all was OK and I then went to the URL you also gave me and went through checking if all the DLL's that were OK oir not

They were all OK #$%^&*

Therefore I'm still in the that Ditch #$%^&*

Any more ideas Mate ?

Cheers n Tears
    Max

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Max, I found the following steps outlined here, perhaps this will help:

Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional

<UL><LI>Click Start
    <LI>Point to All Programs
    <LI>Click Accessories Click Windows Explorer.
    <LI>Click Tools menu
    <LI>Click Folder Options
    <LI>Click File Types.
    <LI>In the Registered File Types box, Click URL:File Transfer Protocol Click Advanced.
    <LI>In the Actions box, Click Open
    <LI>Click Edit.
    <LI>The Application Used To Perform Action box may display the path to your Web browser as a short file name. Type the path to your Web browser using the full long file name. For example, change:
    <UL><LI>crogra~1intern~1iexplore.exe
    -to-
    <LI>crogram filesinternet exploreriexplore.exe (include the quotation marks)[/list]<LI>Click OK
    <LI>Click OK
    <LI>lick Close.
    <LI>Repeat the steps starting again with Registered File Types for each of the following:
    <UL><LI>URL:Gopher Protocol
    <LI>URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol
    <LI>URL:Hypertext Transfer protocol with Privacy[/list]<LI>Click Close.[/list]
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark

See the attached DOC file for what happened when I followed your instructions

Hope you can still help me find the solution to this problem

Thanks agin fer your help

Cheers n Tears
    Max
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark

I have just seen something which I let flask past my eyes and I regret not writing down the message #$%^&*

Due to the frustration I've had with this loss of URL access from Desktop URL Shortcuts I've reinstalled WINXP PRO on another HD and have begun setting it up
    During this procedure I downloaded MS's "Updates"

Subsequent to doing this, another MS "update" flashed up and as I recall it said that one of the previous "updates' had a problem which stops Desktop URL icons from access the Web and that this was a "fix" for this problem

Unfortunately I didn't write down the "Update" MS-### so that I could have re-run the old HD and installed what sounds to be the "fix"
    I also recall that just prior to this loss of function I did run a MS "update" as well as I said in my original posting, deleting the Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird programs Up to now I have been blaming them for destroying my Desktop URL icons from calling up IE, but now it seems it might be MS who have created my problem #$%^&

I tried to do a Google to find the "recovery update", but had no luck

Can you help me/tell me how to find this elusive "recovery update"

Thanks in advance

Cheers n More Tears
    Max