New Lounger
    Thanks

Graph 8 Value x axis vs. Category Axis

I would like to graph number values on the y axis against irregular date values on the x axis.
    Using the chart wizard in Access 97 does a lovely job of popping the dates on the x axis, it calls this axis a category axis and does not have max and min scales nor major or minor unit properties on this axis as with the y axis. I have other charts which I think I created in earlier versions of msgraph where the x axis has all the same properties as the y axis ie. max and min scale values and major and minor units etc. This causes the problem that if I only have three data points over a month it will only have three dates labeled on the x axis which makes extrapolation to future dates difficult. I would prefer something like weekly major units and daily minor units.
    Could anybody tell me how I convert the x axis from a 'category' type axis to a 'value x' axis.
    Thanks in advance.
    Simon Lampen

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graph 8 Value x axis vs. Category Axis

I have done something similar with graphing irregular times on a graph with the minor scale on the x-axis set to 15 minute intervals (1/96 = 0.010416 days) formatted to "mm/dd hh:nn". I chose a scatter chart that works very nicely. I set the interval and the format with code, but a quick glance at the chart wizard looks like it will work. It appears that other chart types will not allow you to get nice even intervals on the x-axis. I also believe the only units you can use with the date format on the x-axis is days, although as you can see, it certainly doesn't have to be integer values.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graph 8 Value x axis vs. Category Axis

Thanks John that has got me most of the way.
    The other problem that I am now facing is that I am using this graph to chart chemical analysis of different vineyards in a report. Each vineyard is a record in the report and there is a subreport for each record containing the data to graph. So for 5 vineyards assuming all the vineyards have data against them, there are five graphs. The dates the vineyards are analysed are different in ranges and frequencies so I have set the x axis max and min scale to auto.
    The problem is that the graphs dont seem to be recalculating an appropriate auto max and min scale for each group of vineyard data. After the second record the graphs all use the max and min scale of the graph in the second record which is no use if the data on any subsequent vineyard was gathered out side of this range as the data does not fall with in the date ranges on the x axis.
    The only time the scale seems to be recalculated is the record after a vineyard that has no data against it.

Trying to progamatically set the scale between records does not seem to work after the report has begun printing.

I would appreciate any pointers or help.
    Regards
    Simon.