5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bullet Indents/Alignment (Word97/ SR2)

Hi -

Having trouble understanding using Bullets & Numbering. If I want a bullet at, say, .5

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bullet Indents/Alignment (Word97/ SR2)

It appears from your document that you want both a bullet & a number, with the number increasing (an autonumber), and then text. In essence, you have three columns. I don't see how you can have both a bulleted list & an automatically numbered list. I see these options:

1. Use a table, although the text will line up better if you put all the text in one item in one row. i.e. use this
    <table border=1><td valign=top>(</td><td valign=top>numbers go here</td><td valign=top>text goes here; I would like the text to be aligned in this portion of the document as it is in this table. Can that be done using Bullets & Numbering?</td></table>
    not this:
    <table border=1><td valign=top>(</td><td valign=top>numbers go here</td><td valign=top>text goes here; I would like the text to be aligned in this portion of the</td><td valign=top> </td><td valign=top> </td><td valign=top>document as it is in this table. Can that be done using Bullets &</td><td valign=top> </td><td valign=top> </td><td valign=top>Numbering? </td></table>
    2. Use tabs to line up items with a hanging indent equal to your second tab, but your numbers won't automatically increase. You can use SEQ fields as your numbers, which will increase when updated. With the table, you can select the column & number the second column.

Perhaps someone else has some better ideas.

Hope this helps,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil - Thank you for your quick response. Actually, I don't need an automatically numbered list. The info could just as well be text. I don't think that will affect what you suggested - or would it? I am after a bullet, some text, then more text in explanation. So a bullet and then 2 indents, each with some information (if that makes sense).

Will study more what you mean by ' hanging indent equal to your second tab' That might be the key I need.

Thanks much.
    ACM

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The easy way to set your hanging indent is first establish where your first two tab stops go. Then put the cursor in the 3rd column & press Ctrl+T twice. Now your third column will line up. I would then (with the cursor still in the 3rd column, click inside the style box on the toolbar, type in a new style name (e.g. Hanging), & press <enter>. Now you have a style that will conform to your requirements. See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files