Lounger
    Thanks

Ghost Folders (Outlook 2002)

Installing the .pst file I exported from my old computer to my new one resulted in duplicates of all folders. Is there any way to eliminate the duplicates? I have tried an Office re-install, but that did nothing. I have deleted some of the duplicates manually, but default folders are protected. Any tips?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ghost Folders (Outlook 2002)

I presume you have an ADDITONAL PST in the directory where the Microsoft default one is stored? (Local setting...OutlookOutlook.PST

If you'd just replaced the default one with the old one you'd had, I wouldn't expect that problem .
    If only one of the PSTs is protected as "system default" and you have data in both, I'd suggest just dragging all content into the system one from the other then detaching it.

Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't been able to find "Outlook.PST", even using the Search utility. Could you please show me the path, as Outlook/Outlook.PST doesn't appear.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Its in a hidden folder under your username - by default search doesn't look in hidden places. You may also have to set windows explorer to show hidden files (Tools > Folder Options > VIew

On my XP machine the folder is

Cocuments and SettingsAndrewLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook

Substitute your username for the "Andrew" part

Lounger
    Thanks

Great! But the pesky "Personal Folders" still resides at the bottom. Maybe I should reinstall Outlook and redo your process, eh?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No - reinstalling shouldn't be necessary (and also probably won't help as Outlook will retain your settings.)

What names of files are there in the directory ? - I'd expect to see one called Outlook, one called archive and one called Outlook1 or similar.

One of them will be installed as your default file for inbox. (Look in FIle > DataFIle Management ) Looking at "Settings" will tell you which is which.

In the main folders, drag content out of the non-system one into the system one. Once complete you can simple disconnect the non-system one by using remove in the File > Data file management screen.

Thanks

I assume you are seeing the pesky entry on Outlook's folder list. If you right-click Personal Folders, and choose Properties for Personal Folders you can give it a new name, such as OLDPST. If you just want to close the old Personal Folders now that you've copied over your data, you can instead choose "Close Personal Folders" from that pop-up menu.

For what it's worth, I always try to give my PST's useful "friendly names" in that Properties dialog. This helps me later remember which of many migrations they came from, and what I used them for.

Lounger
    Thanks

Now everything is fine! But I had deleted the system .pst file previously and renamed the new one Outlook.pst. The system one is still in the Recycle bin, and I can restore it if it has any special features. Otherwise, I am very satisfied with what I see. Many thanks for your kind help. By the way, should I keep the original Outlook.pst file for any reason?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The PST stores messages, contacts and rules. So long as you're not missing any - deleting is fine