3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

date and time resetting (XP SP1a)

Have just turned on my PC after a couple of hours break and find that the date is set to Jan 1 1970. Had correct date and time before shutting down.
    Have made repeated attempts to set the correct date and time (and hitting "apply"), but it keeps reverting to that date. The PC is a Dell 4600 and only a few months old, but I wondered whether the CMOS battery could die so early. I am running SpyBot then AdAware to see if any nasties crept aboard.Nil found by SpyBot.
    With thanks in advance for inspired suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: date and time resetting (XP SP1a)

Your diagnosis of a faulty CMOS battery is the most likely cause of these symptoms. If it is only a few months old then I would expect the supplier to remedy this for you.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect that the CMOS battery is a slide-in thin lithium cell, but in the olde days batteries came soldered to two short pieces of wire terminating in a small plug, which plugged into the motherboard. It may be worth inspecting the motherboard for the very unlikely case of the latter, or to check that the lithium cell hasn't "slipped sideways" and lost contact in its holder?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both- will check out the battery. I guess that one cannot assume that every battery which comes out of the factory is perfect!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can't reset the time while the power is on and have it stay correct until you power off, then I would suspect a bad clock chip.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip, Legare. Currently the date and time are holding, so whatever caused the glitch is at least temporarily fixed (by doing nothing, as so often happens)
    Dianne