New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem installing ICS on WinME

I have a problem installing Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on WinME. After following all the steps in the ICS wizard, I can no longer access web pages.
    I have a wired home network with 3 machines connected through a hub, each machine has an Ethernet card. I have a WinME machine on this network with a dial up modem. I can connect to the Internet on my dial up modem with no problem. I have checked with my ISP and they have no objections to subscribers using ICS.
    I switched off the the other two machines on my network, and installed ICS, rebooted and saw the confirmation message. I still did not switch on my other machines. I dialled my connection and received a connection confirmation message. However when I opened a browser, I could not access any web sites, I just got a "page unavailable" message.
    I uninstalled ICS and my Internet connection worked properly.

Can anyone suggest what is happening and how I can remedy this?

Thanks very much,
    David Farbey, London UK

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem installing ICS on WinME

<hr>...each machine has an Ethernet card... <hr>
    It's been a LONG time since I installed ICS and at the time it was on a Win98 machine. I don't know if I can help or not, but you do have TWO network cards in the ICS machine don't you? It's got to be a configuration problem since you say uninstalling ICS brings back your connectivity.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I have an Ethernet card for my wired home network, and I have a separate connection for my dial up connection. Does that count as "two network cards"? BTW, the modem is a Connexant WinModem. Might that make a difference? Should I try installing a spearate PCI modem card instead?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My error. You DID say dialup in your first post. Let me go dig out my notes on the last time I set it up in Win98 and see if I can spot anything. I don't think WinME should be any different. Later...