Star Lounger
    Thanks

Secure sites file not found 404 errors (6.0 XPSP2)

I've had problems for some time with secure sites when trying to buy things. Quite often, on the last confirmation page I've clicked Confirm or Proceed and then the next screen is a File not Found error 404 instead of the confirmation. If I try to go back and Confirm again often the page has expired or I get a Windows message that I have to wait. It's done it on quite a few different sites - cinema, my ISP site, even Glastonbury music festival tickets!

MS KB article 827667 blame cumulative updates or KB 303807 blames corrupted user profiles. There are some fixes given but the previous updates that are blamed don't seem to be on my computer, though I'm not sure how I'm meant to tell. I've looked at IE's 'About Internet Explorer' and it just names a few SP1 updates, and the Currently Installed Programs list doesn't mention the numbers quoted.

Is there a quick fix? Like, should I uninstall IE and reinstall it (in which case do I do this from Add/Remove Windows Components) or will the updates/hotfixes remain.

The other problem is testing this. Short of buying lots of test cinema tickets and other online purchases, how do I know if this is working again?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Secure sites file not found 404 errors (6.0 XPSP2)

Colin,

So far as checking the status of updateshotfixes. See my post to "Tricky" at <post#=373189>post 373189</post#>

If you don't have either of these programs, you download them at:

Belarc

AIDA32

I would also check the Security settings at IE>options>security. Settings at "medium" are usually OK.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Viking33. Using the Belarc Advisor I think I've identified one update to Internet Explorer, KB832894, that could create the problem behaviour I'm getting. The problem it creates is worse than the problem it solves so I'd like to try re-applying it or take it away permanently. I can't find it in the Add or Remove Programs listing.

Any ideas how I can remove this Hotfix? I think it's been around for a long time so using system restore is not an option.

Thanks

Colin,

Open your WIndows folder, then there should be a list of folders with all of the hotfixes. They will look like $NTuninstallKBxxxxxx$.
    Go into the subfolder named Spuninst and click on the spuninst.exe file. It will ask if you really want to uninstall this, click yes.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm, this is interesting. I went to the Windows file and all the NTuninstall folders were there just as you described... except the one I wanted. I triple checked, but the Hotfix reported in Belarc isn't there! Perhaps it didn't install properly and that's why I'm having problems. BTW Belarc reports the file as Q832894. I had said earlier that it was KB because I thought that referred to the Knowledge Base article. Just me getting confused my Microsoft terminology.

What should I do? Try and reinstall it?

Thanks

Colin,

Does Belarc show a green or red arrow next to the hotfix? ( or NO arrow )
    Green means it installed OK
    Red means it did not install OK
    No Arrow means there is not sufficient info to show the status. This is usually the case for cumulative updates ( like 832894 )

It won't hurt to try to reinstall the patch.

You can also check the status of installed patches by going to Windows Update and clicking on "show installation history". This is Ok BUT if you reinstalled the OS or made changes this might not always be correct.

Regarding the KB or Q numbers, the Q numbers are for newer patches and are basically the same except that MS is now using the newer Q numbering scheme.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There's no arrow or tick of either colour. But then again, there's nothing against any of the Internet Explorer Updates. I think I'll try updating the patch again in the hope of putting something in the right place. I'm experiencing freezes in Windows Explorer at present. Not sure if it's linked but I might have to reinstall Windows anyway. Let's hope not. I could do without a day spent reinstalling everything.

If you have any other ideas (anyone) do feel free to add them. Otherwise, many thanks for your help viking33