New Lounger
    Thanks

access query prob in mail merge (XP)

I have a problem retrieving data from a query when trying to get recipients info into a mail merge doc.
    I have carried out a query, successfully, to show only customers whose surname begins with "M".
    Then When I try to find that info while creating my mail merge doc. by clicking on browse, there is no data displayed in that query.
    The query I ran was ( Like"M*" ) That part was successful. And gave me the list I requested.
    But.....I cant get that data into my mail merge. It keeps coming up empty!! Soooo...frustrating. Have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I hope someone out there will understand what I am trying to explain and be able to help me on this one.

Cheers. Sylvie

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: access query prob in mail merge (XP)

Have you saved the query in your Access database? If so you should be able to specify the query as your data source for the mail merge, but it may mean you have to change your default access method. I've seen cases where using the default OLE DB method doesn't give you queries - only tables to choose from. If that's the case, try changing to ODBC data sources, or if you have a parameter query, you may need to resort to DDE. This question comes up more often in the Word forum, so if you need more details you could try searching that forum for "mail merge ODBC" and you should find several relevant threads. Or you can post back here and we'll try to help.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: access query prob in mail merge (XP)

Thank you for your advice Wendell. I will give the Word forum a go.
    I find it frustrating that I was able to do what I wanted by opening my database and doing an advanced filter on the surnames but I am disappointed that I can't achieve the same results with the query I have saved.
    Thanks again.
    Sylvie