2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change date field in normal.dot (Word 2002 SP-2)

I have a toolbar button for inserting the date in a document. I can't figure out how to configure the normal.dot template so that this is always the date the document was created. I can insert the date in the template and change the field to CREATEDATE, but I don't necessary want the date to appear on every document. I'm trying to change that toolbar button so that it inserts the CREATEDATE field, not the DATE field.
    Clark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change date field in normal.dot (Word 2002 SP-2)

With something like this, you can easily record a macro to insert the CreateDate & then assign it to a toolbar button. If you click on the REC button on the status bar, Word will pop up a dialog box asking for a name & whether to assign it to a menu, toolbar button, or shortcut key. Choose toolbar button at that time. Then just record the macro while you insert the CreateDate.

You can save this macro in a custom global template (best) or in normal.dot (or the document, but then it won't be available to other documents). Perhaps even a better idea is to save a template that you will use to create such documents (ones you want the CreateDate field in). Then place the CreateDate field in that template.
    Hope this helps,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I did it. Just seemed funny that Word wouldn't allow anything but the DATE field to be assigned to the default toolbar "Insert Date" button.
    Clark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Clark,

If you change the name of the macro you recorded to "InsertDateField" it will run when the "InsertDate" toolbar button is pressed.