2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting rows (Excel 2000 SP3)

Please can anyone confirm if two 'features' I have just observed in Excel, are consistently applied within the program:-

1 - I have a worksheet in which the first 3 columns contain manually entered numbers, and the next several columns contain some increasingly complicated formulae which perform calculations on those numbers. The formulas have been created on row one, and then dragged down to populate the rest of the worksheet.

If I now add a row in the middle of the table, it will be completely blank - no data and no formulae. However, I've just noticed that rather than having to drag down my formulas into my new blank line, the process of adding in some data to the first 3 columns of the new row suddenly activates the formulae, as though they were there all the time, but just not visible.

Can I now insert rows into ranges of formulae with impunity, and not worry about copying the formula into my new blank rows?

2 - If I type text (words) into a cell, and the words are longer than the cell width, the text simply appears across the face of the adjacent cell, assuming it is empty. However if I type in figures, or a date, and the cell is too narrow, it doesn't spill across a blank adjacent cell, but merely returns a cell full of hashes to indicate my cell is too narrow to display the content. Once again, is this consistent 'behaviour within Excel, or is there a setting or format I could apply to display the whole number if my adjacent cell was empty?

Neil

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inserting rows (Excel 2000 SP3)

Neil,

#1 I have never seen that, but will play with it a bit to see if I can duplicate it.

#2 That is a feature of Excel. If the column is not wide enough to display the numbers, as formated, it will NOT spread across the cells next to it.

Chuck
    Chuck Reimer
    I'm from the Government and I'm here to help...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

1. In Excel 2000 you can use
    Tools-Options-Edit
    ..and check the box labelled 'Extend list formats and formulas'
    to get the effect you see.
    (check the Excel help for appropriate conditions)

2. This is the standard Excel behavior.

zeddy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Zeddy,

Thanks! I can go home now -I learned something new.

Chuck
    Chuck Reimer
    I'm from the Government and I'm here to help...