Star Lounger
    Thanks

datasheet view formatting (Access XP)

I have a form that has a table shown in a datasheet view. For ease of readability, is there a way to make the background different for alternating record (i.e. all odd records background = yellow, all even records background = gray)?

Thanks in advance

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: datasheet view formatting (Access XP)

Dave,

I've wrestled with this from time to time and never found a satisfactory solution. It's relatively easy to do for reports, but not for forms (as far as I can tell). A possible kludge (just occured to me, I haven't actually tried it) is to create an image (bmp, gif, jpg, etc.) that shows the row-by-shading you want. Import this as the background for your form and then align your fields (and give them a transparent background) with the image. You may have to play around with the positioning, sizing, etc. to get this to work satisfactorily.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although this can be done in a datasheet form, it is a lot of work. You could use conditional formatting for all controls, using an expression that evaluates to true for even-numbered records, and false for odd-numbered records. There are some tricks for creating alternating background colors in a continuous form; see for example "Highlight a Single Row" on Mark Liquorman's Access Tips, Links, & Downloads page.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oops... When I wrote my response above, I was thinking "continuous" when you said "datasheet". If you're willing to "simulate" a datasheet form using a continuous form, then my suggestion may work for you. Otherwise, in the immortal words of Emily Lattela, never mind!