5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

tracking changes (XP)

I have numerous comments I WANT to see in my Word document - but I DO NOT want to ever, ever again see all the changes I have made to this document. Is there a way for me to get rid of all the changes tracked and still maintain my comments?

Aunt Linda

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: tracking changes (XP)

Hi Linda:
    I don't have Word 2002, but if you go through & accept or reject changes, you might be able to do this quickly until you come to the comments. Then just accept the comments. Does this do what you want?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I reject the formatting changes, the formatting changes ARE REJECTED - which means, the changes are not made and I need these changes to be made - I just don't want to see all the words that said I changed stuff.

Must remember to tell everyone to NOT EVER track the changes I guess.

Thanks for the try

Linda

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Linda:
    I must be missing something. Why can't you just accept all the changes then? This will preserve all your editions & formatting changes, won't it?

Thanks

The fastest way to Accept All is to add the old Accept/Reject dialog back to your menus or your Track Changes toolbar. See <post#=312515>post 312515</post#> for how I did it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Phil Rabichow to make the link clickable - see Help #19
    If you visit http://www.fusd.net/public and and choose Phone List you can see the whole darn thing - when you show the mark-ups, it's a real mess.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm just stupid - I finally saw the words "show" next to the markup box in the toolbar - all I had to do was uncheck show formatting. Duh! Sorry . . .

Linda

Thanks

Hi Linda,

My two cents: there are good reasons to remove the mark-ups rather than not show them. Your document can get much bigger than you realize and corrupt. You have only hidden the changes -- someone else can turn them back on and view them. And hiding some formatting can cause unexpected results.

Track changes was intended to keep track of who made what changes and when. The intention is that once your document has been finalized, you then go through the document accepting or rejecting the changes. If everyone has already agreed that all the changes were good, you can accept ALL changes (as mentioned above) -- all the excess stuff will be removed from the documents -- and your document will look just as it does with track changes hidden. Your comments will remain -- even comments attached to text which was deleted.

You might experiment with this if you're unsure. Make a copy of the document, click Ctrl+Shirt+E (or Tools | Track Changes) to display the Reviewing toolbar. The Accept Change button has a little arrow just to the right of it. If you click that, a little drop-down menu will appear and the last item is Accept All Changes in Document. Click that then review the document. Is it OK? If you had made a lot of changes, it will probably be smaller.

And you're right. If you're the only author, or it is not important to track deletions and additions, don't track changes in the first place. Hope this helps?

Kim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't allow anyone to touch my stuff - obvious reasons - most people in today's workplace have received NO training in Office applications and therefore cannot be trusted - obviously NEITHER CAN I!!

It's okay - like I said in my replay to someone else this morning, I finally "saw" the place where I could choose to see them or not so it's all good. Don't have any clue why I ever turned track changes on anyway - one of my frequent lapses I guess.

Thanks for the reply - you're always a big help.

Ta

Linda