2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form+Date Fields (Word 2000/2002)

I have a createdate field in a form document (just the regular create date field and not a form field). I need to know what I can do to keep this date static even if other fields in the form are updated. When the user updates the other fields in the document, the create date changes to the current date...form document attached.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: Form+Date Fields (Word 2000/2002)

What is the CREATEDATE supposed to reflect in this document? It should, in theory, match the date someone last used Save As to "create" the current version of the document. If it constantly updates after that, there is something very wrong. If you want it to reflect something else, and that is not available as a different field, you probably need to "lock" the field against updates (there is a key combination for this, but it slips my mind...) before applying forms protection.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As you describe it, the field is doing just what it should, it updates every time the "exit" macro runs on the last form field, which basically names and saves the document. I want that date to remain exactly what it was the first time the document was created even when the document is updated.

I can add a routine in the same exit macro that will look for a bookmark, insert the date and time, then delete the bookmark. Then the next time it runs, when it does not find the bookmark, it will skip the date and time insertion. ...unless someone can come up with an easier way to do this.

FYI, these are medical documents which are transcribed from dictation, so that date is the transcription date which is a legally required field and needs to stay the same once created. These documents are often reviewed by editors who may change information like patient name spelling or doctor name spelling in the form fields, but the actual original transcription date (at the bottom of the document attached to the original post) must stay the same.

Thanks

A "regular" shouldn't updated the created date, only a Save As (even with the identical file name). But Word doesn't always do what is advertised. Perhaps it is easier to use a FormField and fill it with an AutoNew macro?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The form field with an AutoNew macro SHOULD work. I'm a little unsure about how to do this...would I:

1. Create the AutoNew macro which inserts the current date and time and save it in the template.
    2. Create the FormField which runs that macro on entry and fills in the field.

Would it not run that macro every time that field is tabbed through when the form is updated by another user?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, the AutoNew macro works, I just have it unprotect the document, go to the bottom of the document and insert the current date and time and then reprotect the document and voila!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can also lock the date field that you insert with the AutoNew macro. The keystroke to lock the field is Ctrl+F11.