3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

different acct, different email? (WinXP pro)

Can I set up one user account with one email program and a second user account with a second email program? I'd be using Netscape Messenger on one and Outlook on the other.
    How about one user account using both Netscape and Outlook? Is that doable and practical?

E

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: different acct, different email? (WinXP pro)

That depends on what YOU mean by the term "user account." There are several definitions of that phrase, the first of which might be the email service that your ISP provides. Secondly, if you have a web site host, many provide some type of email service (account), sometimes only incoming. Thirdly, the email software itself (nowadays) typically allows for multiple "accounts" to be setup and all you have to do is provide the settings for each one. Fourth, since you use Win XP, there is the user account structure in the OS, but I don't think that's what you're talking about in your question.

The email service provided by my ISP can be accessed by any email software I choose, including multiple programs. For example I have in recent times, accessed my email there with both Mozilla and Pegasus. The thing you have to remember is that usually the email software REMOVES the mail from the ISP server after you check in. So, if you're running more than one email client and want the messages to be received by both, you'll have to make settings allowances for that procedure.

As an example, I currently (still) use Mozilla for browser and email and I have several email "accounts" setup within. Netscape's recent versions have the same capability, as do the new and VERY popular Mozilla Thunderbird - the email only client. I don't (ever) use Outlook, so I can't comment on its abilities. If this prompts more specific questions, let's keep talking...

!AEH!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm working with someone who is currently using Netscape messenger for their email and they don't want to change that. However, they need to send out email merges via Outlook.

I thought perhaps I should create in Windows XP a separate user account and then an email account to use solely for these email merges. Can you see any advantages to creating the email account under a separate Windows user account or does it seem like wasted effort?

The mail server will allow the user to choose between IMAP and POP3 and Outlook has an advanced setting on it's POP3 that allows you to leave a copy of the message on the server.

E

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know that a separate user account would be all that necessary...so long as the user in question does not try to use both programs at the same time, this should be easily accomplished under the same user account in XP. I use a few different programs that all access the same POP3 accounts without any conflicts and never need to log off and log in under alternate credentials.
    -Mark