New Lounger
    Thanks

TransferText, symbols and accent characters (A97)

I am using DoCmd.TransferText to generate CSV text files from queries. The query results include text which includes characters from the Latin-1 extended character set, specifically the "plus-or-minus" sign. In the resulting text file the "plus-or-minus" sign is converted to the Spanish (etc.) n-tilde. Oddly, this doesn't happen if I do the job manually, by selecting the query and doing File | Save As/Export... and choose a text file type (which I thought was equivalent to TransferText). Can anyone suggest a fix or an explanation. It doesn't seem to be a font/typeface problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TransferText, symbols and accent characters (A97)

When you export manually, you can create an export specification (click Advanced... in any step of the Text Export Wizard, then click Save As...).
    You can set the code page in the specification (Western European - Windows is the one to use for most European languages) and use the name of this specification as an argument to DoCmd.TransferText. Does that help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sort of... The export specification doesn't seem to have a "Code Page" option, but it does have a "File Origin" option (this is Access 97). The choices are "Windows (ANSI)" and "DOS or OS/2 (PC-8)". Using the first one in a manual export produces the "plus-or-minus" (character 00B1) and using the second one produces the "n-tilde" (character 00F1). So it sounds like there may be a way forward there. I haven't yet managed to produce an export specification for the specific query, because the query design includes query fields of the form MyTable1.SameFieldName and MyTable2.SameFieldName, and the wizard can't cope, but that's another story (I guess I can rename the fields in the query using SQL "AS" or it's Design Grid equivalent).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck. Let us know if you have problems.