2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

multiple email accounts (2000 and XP)

Is it possible to set up my company email account and my personal email account on the same computer in Outlook? Both have differrent email addresses and ISP's. If it is possible, then how would I be able to toggle from one to the other when I was finished with one and wanted to work with the other. Any assistance is very greatly appreciated. thanks, John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: multiple email accounts (2000 and XP)

John

Do you want them to be totally separate - as in no connection to each other?.
    If so click on Control Panel > Mail > Profiles and create a new profile called "Home" - make sure that you don't have one of them set as "default" and you'll be prompted each Outlook startup. To toggle - you'd have to exit Outlook and start it again.

An alternative that works well is to use Outlook for one (Work), and Outlook Express for the other (Home) - they can then co-exist as separate windows and you toggle by selecting the appropriate window.

With both the above methods your reply address and contact lists are unique to the particular accounts (but could be copied).

A third alternative is to have two folder trees co-existing within the same instance of Outlook - it can be done - especially if you have an Exchange server. However, there are potentially issues of confusion around contacts, and your reply address - assuming you want these to be different between home and work accounts. If you wish to explore this - try options under Tools > Email Accounts ...> Add

Thanks

A separate issue is: if you are using one ISP to access and reply to mail received through a different ISP, what outbound SMTP server can you use? For anti-spam reasons, you usually must use an SMTP server associated with the ISP you are currently logged on with. The exception is that some ISPs provide for authenticated access to their SMTP servers so you can use them at any time, provided you give the right username and password. And some companies let you connect in using VPN so that your computer can appear to be inside the network and have unrestricted access to the mail server.

Anyway... when you toggle between accounts/profiles/programs, you might find that you need to change your SMTP server in order to send mail. It's a hassle!

In Outlook 2002, I have set up "dummy" accounts for sending only. Mail is not retrieved from these accounts when I check mail. I use the Accounts drop-down list to select an SMTP server that will work with my current connection before sending. In Outlook 2000's Internet Mail Only mode there is a drop-down arrow next to the Send button if you have multiple accounts in the same profile. But back then I used Corporate/Workgroup mode, and had to manually type in the correct server. Whenever I changed networks. Such fun!!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I want to say a big thank you to both of you for the suggestions...They have been very helpful! thanks, John