5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer has gone belly up

Hi,
    Wonder if anyone can lend a bit of advice.
    I was using my home computer last night when it switched itself off. Just literally as if I had turned it off at the plug. The power button has a green light around it that was flashing.
    I now can't get it too even start, the power is going to the base box as the monitor is getting its power from there. When I try to turn it on the green light around the power button flashes briefly (about 1/2 second) but thats it.
    I'm running XP Pro, Asus A7v266 motherboard, 256 DDR, 60 GB 7200 Seagate Harddrive, Geforce 3 TI etc.
    I'm somewhat perplexed as to why this has happened. Is it the power motor thingy is shot or something more serious? I'd like some hints before I open it up.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computer has gone belly up

I would suggest a new power supply for the first step (the power motor thingy)! Relatively easy to replace, just make sure to take a look at where all the plugs are plugged into before you take the old one out. I would get a good one, at least a 400 watt true power rating.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So what would be the problem, has the Power Supply simply burned out?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possibly, or maybe the fan quit and it got to hot, maybe a fuse blew, maybe there's a ghost in the machine, maybe a couple of hundred other things.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Mike said, it could be any one of dozens of reasons. I've spent time (because of a tightwad manager) replacing a PS fan a time or two, that it so happens were noticed BEFORE the PS blew out. The amount of labor, cost of the fans, snipping and taping, etc. that we spent was NOT worth the replacement cost difference in a new PS. It only takes a short time to replace and the cost ain't that bad. If you wanted to be sure, and have a spare around, you could try a temporary replacement, but even that involves double your time.

Thanks

I'll join the vote for a bad PSU or a bad power SWITCH.
    Is the switch a separate unit or does it look like it's part of the PSU cabling?
    Some PSUs have an internal type switch that's linked to the front panel with a mechanical extension; others have a separate switch and are wired into the PSU. IBMs for example, ( excuse me, Al ) used to have the mechanical thingy in some of their older boxes.
    Just take a careful look at your present PSU to make sure you get the proper replacement.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for their help, I'm going to open the baby up tonight and have a peruse............
    I kinda guessed that's what the problem was inclined towards but I'm pretty basic with regards to the internal workings of PC's. Just glad it doesn't sound like a meltdown.