3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

desktop run amok (WinXP SP 1)

The desktop on my laptop is running amok. My quick launch bar icons are changing sometimes repeatedly. I can no longer drag and drop or arrange the icons on the desktop. I now have a column on the left size of the screen with Folder Tasks, Other Places and Details.

I tried reinstalling the SP with no change to the above. I've run System Mechanic and Norton's WinDoc to repair Windows problems also to no avail. The only thing next step I'm coming up with is reinstalling Windows and if that doesn't work, swap the drive and start over. That's a lot of down time and seems like overkill.

I was hoping someone had run into this kind of desktop problem and could suggest a fix.

Eli

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: desktop run amok (WinXP SP 1)

First let's determine exactly which toolbars are showing on the taskbar. If you right-click on the Taskbar and select the Menus option, what appears with a check mark on the cascading menu that pops out?

I suspect that you have docked a toolbar on the desktop as well, although I am not sure which one that would be offhand. Try the right-click method there as well, and turn off anything that you don't explicitly need.

I agree that formatting is overkill for something like this, it should be a matter of settings, not cause for all that pain!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right clicked on the Taskbar and the only toolbar that shows as active is the Quick Launch. I can't even right click the column that's appeared on the left of my cesktop. It's like what I'm used to seeing in Explorer when I click My Computer or one of the drives on my computer.

I've included a view of it here. Have you even seen something like this?

And, it's real interesting to see what new icons the programs in my Quick Launch are going to have. The first three icons on Quick Launch are desktop, IE, administrative tools, and notepad and as you can see they've all assumed new identities. You'll also see how some program icons have taken over others so now I've got the same icon for two programs.

E

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The icon problem may be separate. Icons are cached in a hidden file named ShellIconCache. You can use TweakUI to rebuild the icon cache or hunt down this hidden file and delete it yourself.

The folder tasks that are docked to your desktop are interesting, though. Do you have the Active Desktop enabled? Disabling it might get rid of this. I would also suggest creating a new user profile and logging in with that, and seeing if that solves the problem. Although corrupt user profiles are rare, they do happen from time to time.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I broke down, reformated the hard drive and reloaded windows.

E