wubbo37

Disappearing Record

Using Access 2000 with 4 users on a windows network. Whenever the system crashes, after a compact and repair the system loses up to 10 records. I could accept maybe one corrupt record being lost. This never happened with access 97. Any ideas for preventing this??

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing Record

This is only relevant to Access97:
    (AFAIK)

You're probably already familiar with the Data Access Pages concept, which is of course the way Access saves records to their files. I read it was something like 3 records per page. Since you've got 4 users on it, chances are that when the crash occurs the data hasn't been transferred from the buffer to these pages, or the retry interval is interferring with the users saving records.

Under tools/options/advanced-check the Refresh Interval and Update Retry Interval. This would at least move the information to the datapages quicker.

I'd look into that 'crashing' problem first.
    Perhaps you're having a stack overflow in the memory and maybe updating the records quicker will create a little more headroom.

-just guessin'

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing Record

Jazman's solution makes sense and I hate to be brutal but ... you really need to examine your basic need. If this is a constant problem for you (network CRASHES) you have a much more basic and systemic problem. We've been using a W2k (NT) server for over a year and have witnessed nada not one single crash in that time. Access is and probably always will be sensitive to network problems, IMHO you should look to the cause. Incidentally, any "system interruptions" we have experienced have been due to catastrophic power failures and the server (with UPS support) has always recovered with no ill effects.