Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

W98 Boot problem

This time I'm helping a senior lady with her W98 computer. Everytime she boots she gets the screen that I normally associate with pressing F8 on boot, i.e. it pops up waiting for you to select either Normal, or safe mode, etc. Is this something built into the Bios? And if so how do you work around it? It is a Phoenix V4.05 BIOS.

In addition, after completing the boot she always gets a "Advanced INF Install" error window stating that it could not locate the file "F: ... WSEfinish.inf". Drive F is her CD. I reinstalled W98 2nd Ed, but this error persists. Furthermore, I couldn't find any such file on the CD.

These problems don't seem to have any bad effect, as she just closes the error message and the system then seems to run normally. However, these two things on bootup are bugging her.

All suggestions are welcome.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: W98 Boot problem

The boot menu is not a BIOS feature, it's something that can be enabled/disabled in Windows 98. You can do this several ways, but the best bet is to install TweakUI and disable the boot menu by clearing the tick in the checkbox. This is actually changing a setting in the MSDOS.SYS file, setting BootMenu= to 0.

The WSEfinish.inf file I am not sure about, but I think it's a leftover from the installation process. If memory serves, it is created during the install and is deleted after it is successfully executed. Check the startiup items in MSCONFIG to see if anything is calling it.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,

I have yet to try to install Tweak, but I did enter MSCONFIG and noticed that it was set for Selective Startup. I changed it to Normal and rebooted, but it came right back up with Selective again.

I just checked with Microsoft regarding Tweak, and it mentions that it is not supported by W98 2nd edition! It says that some functions may work, but some may not. Would you suggest I try to load Version 1.33 of Tweak?

Also, I found nothing about WSEFinish anywhere in MSCONFIG. So far I haven't made any progress, but I'll let you know if I do.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chuck:
    Mark is offline for the moment. I have Win 98SE & can tell you from personal experience that TweakUI V1.33 works. There are some additional Power Toys for Win 95, a few of which do not work or are unnecessary for Win 98. Microsoft doesn't support any of the Power Toys...that means they won't help you, that's all.
    Hope this helps,