Thread: Normal.dot

New Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot

I am running Word 2000, with Win 98 SE, every time I close Word I get the message "This file is in use by another application or user (C:WINDOWS...templatesNormal.dot) [OK]".

Trouble is it usually happens when I have no other application in use! What's happening and do do I turn it off? (whatever it is)

Thanks

John C

BAM

Re: Normal.dot

Hi John,

It sounds like Word has detected an erroneous Owner file for Normal.dot.

Exit Word and go to Start/Find/Files or Folders and search for ~$*.do? and delete those files you find. (There should be one named ~$Normal.dot) While you are there, search for all *.tmp files and delete those as well.

For more information on general "housekeeping" procedures and owner files see: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm</A>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi BAM, tried that, still get the message!
    Most peculiar

John C

BAM

Hi John C,

The Owner files are hidden files so if you don't have "Show all files" turned on then this might be why you can't find it.

If you don't know where this option is located, open an Exploring window, go to View/Folder Options and you will find it on the View tab.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again! I seek to have solved the problem by renaming normal.dot and letting Word rebuild it. Will keep you posted if I have any more problems

JohnC