New Lounger
    Thanks

Nested Table Validation If Statements (2000)

Last week I posted the following question:
    I have a table that has a DeliveryDate field and a DeliveryMemo field and I am trying to create a Table level validation rule that will require a DeliveryMemo if a DeliveryDate is populated. I have tried using an If Statement but can't seen to make it work. Any ideas?

And got the answer below:
    You can use the function IIf (Immediate If) in expressions. The general form is

IIf(Condition, Result_if_True, Result_if_False)

In your table, use this:

IIf(Not IsNull([DeliveryDate]), Not IsNull([DeliveryMemo]), True)

If the DeliveryDate is populated (not Null), test if DeliveryMemo is populated (not Null), otherwise it's always OK.

Regards,
    Hans

Which worked perfectly, my question now is there a way to nest this for multiple DeliveryDate and DeliveryMemo fields. Like DeliveryDate1, DeliveryMemo1, DeliveryDate2, DeliveryMemo2. I have now have 5 sets of DeliveryData and DeliveryMemo fields.

I have tried using what I thought was standard If Statement nesting and am not able to make it work.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Jill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Nested Table Validation If Statements (2000)

You don't need nested IIf's here, but you must combine them using And, since the condition must hold (I presume) for each of the sets. It will look rather cumbersome:

IIf(Not IsNull([DeliveryDate1]),Not IsNull([DeliveryMemo1]),True) And IIf(Not IsNull([DeliveryDate2]),Not IsNull([DeliveryMemo2]),True) And IIf(Not IsNull([DeliveryDate3]),Not IsNull([DeliveryMemo3]),True) And IIf(Not IsNull([DeliveryDate4]),Not IsNull([DeliveryMemo4]),True) And IIf(Not IsNull([DeliveryDate5]),Not IsNull([DeliveryMemo5]),True)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Nested Table Validation If Statements (2000)

You are my hero!

Thanks so much!
    Jill