Thread: server 2003

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

server 2003

(I hope this is the right forum) I'm struggling with setting up some user rights on a w2k3 domain controller which don't seem to be picked up by a user logging on to the network on an xp machine. I have gone in to "default domain security settings", and changed a couple of things: change the system time is set to authenticated users. And I have set an interactive logon message text and message title. I then ran gpupdate on both the dc and on the xp machine. On the xp machine, even after a restart, I still do not see the interactive logon window, nor is the user allowed to change the system time.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong here (and demonstrating my newbie-ish status). Can someone give me some pointers on what I'm missing?

Cheers, Roger

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: server 2003

more information.... I've now joined my notebook to the domain, and see that the interactive logon window DOES appear (and on the dc too) and that I CAN change the system time on the notebook, but is still not working on the other xp machine. I don't know why!

Another question (for clarification). Do changes made to the domain security policy settings get picked up the next tiem a user logs on? And is it possible to just run gpupdate on the client machines (for testing purposes) and the policy is picked up straight away?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What is the operating system on the notebook PC? I have seen weird things happen on client boxes with interactive logons; try waiting at the domain logon screen for a few minutes before actually logging in and see if the window then appears. I was never able to root out a specific cause for this behavior and worked around it by putting a shortcut in the startup menu on client machines to run the script after login. Not ideal, but it worked.

<hr>Do changes made to the domain security policy settings get picked up the next tiem a user logs on?<hr>
    Yes. I believe the answer to your GPUPDATE on client machines question is also a yes. At least, that is the design intent as I understand it.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The notebook is also running xp. What I'm now trying to do is troubleshoot why the policies are not always being picked up by the desktop client. I've tested with changes to the group the user belongs to, in conjunction with alterations to which group can change the system time, as well as change the user password on the dc, and change the interactive logon text. I have found that the notebook is picking up all changes in policy, and while gpupdate or a log off and on, may not be enough, a restart picks up all changes. I can restrict or allow clock changes in the way I'd expect, and see all changes to interactive text.

The desktop xp client is puzzling. The password change is picked up on the next logon. I have not seen the interactive logon window yet, and I still can't allow the user to change the clock. So some changes are being picked up, but not others.

I thought it may be due to using the same username to log on to both machines at the same time, but have eliminated this by turning off the laptop.

What can I do to try and figure out what's going on? The problem only seems to be on the desktop machine.