Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to use specific ethernet connection? (6.0 / SP1)

This question is probably more of a Win98 question but... I have a local LAN connection. Occasionally I need to dial into my office via modem. When I do that, IE no longer works. It must be trying to use the dial-up connection. As soon as I break the connection it works fine again via the LAN. While I am connected to both the LAN & dial-up, I can see my other computers in my Network Neighborhood so the LAN conection is still accessible.

So the question is, how can I get IE to continue using the LAN ethernet connection even when I open a second connection over the modem? I tried putting the "default gateway" address of the router into the proxy server setting in IE but that didn't do anything.

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to use specific ethernet connection? (6.0

What you need to do is to disable the Use Default Gateway on Remote Network option in the dial-up connectoid's properties. When you establish the DUN connection, IE (and all other TCP/IP traffic) will use the newly established route, or remote gateway, unless you disable this default behavior.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! But to complicate matters a bit, what if I want to connect to machines over the dial-up network via telnet but want web browsing ability over the LAN? Is that possible?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If that is the case, then you need to use the ROUTE ADD {xx.xx.xx.xx} command, where {xx.xx.xx.xx} is the gateway of the remote network. It's not pretty but it should work.
    -Mark