Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to use specific ethernet connection? (6.0 / SP1)

This question is probably more of a Win98 question but... I have a local LAN connection. Occasionally I need to dial into my office via modem. When I do that, IE no longer works. It must be trying to use the dial-up connection. As soon as I break the connection it works fine again via the LAN. While I am connected to both the LAN & dial-up, I can see my other computers in my Network Neighborhood so the LAN conection is still accessible.

So the question is, how can I get IE to continue using the LAN ethernet connection even when I open a second connection over the modem? I tried putting the "default gateway" address of the router into the proxy server setting in IE but that didn't do anything.

Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to use specific ethernet connection? (6.0

What you need to do is to disable the Use Default Gateway on Remote Network option in the dial-up connectoid's properties. When you establish the DUN connection, IE (and all other TCP/IP traffic) will use the newly established route, or remote gateway, unless you disable this default behavior.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! But to complicate matters a bit, what if I want to connect to machines over the dial-up network via telnet but want web browsing ability over the LAN? Is that possible?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If that is the case, then you need to use the ROUTE ADD {xx.xx.xx.xx} command, where {xx.xx.xx.xx} is the gateway of the remote network. It's not pretty but it should work.
    -Mark