3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

email merge with Word (A 2000)

I working on an email merge using Access 2000 and Word 2000. I'm having a couple of problems I hope you can help me sort out.

1) If I use a query that's pulling it's criteria from a form, I get parameter pops with the reference to the form's text boxes. I've tested the query using a preview command button on the form, and it's returning the right data. But, regardless if I have the form open, the form open and the query in preview, or just the query open, I still get "parameterized." Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

2) If I enter the actual criteria instead of using parameters the merge works great until I get to "send". Then it pops up a Check Names dialog box with the message no names in Outlook. I've tried this on several different machines and getting the same result on each.

I've been scouring the net and everyone's directions are the same and no one has given any indication of either of these two problems. So I am so so stuck and I need to send a 300 email merge in about 8-12 hours! Eeek!

I'm triple posting this in Access, Outlook and Word with the hope that I'm tapping into different expertise and it might be a composite problem. Thanks for any assistance. It is gratefully accepted!

Eli

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: email merge with Word (A 2000)

When you get the parameter prompt, has a second copy of the database been opened? This sometimes happens, and of course the form is not open in this second copy, so you still get the parameter prompts. Having an application title in startup-options is supposed to cause this, and removing the title should get rid of it.

I had a case recently where I couldn't get rid of it, until I imported everything into a new database.
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

While this isn't a solution to the Access problem, it might get you away for your deadline.

Open the query and using the Tools > Office Links > Analyse it with Excel option from the menu export your data to Excel. Now change the data source for the Word merge file to the Excel file you've created and you should be able to get the job out. You might want to use a copy of the originla Word file in order to avoid corrupting it for use with Access in future.

After that, more information about the database might help us to help you.

Ian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

That's exactly what's been happening. I'll see what I do to keep the second copy from opening. THANKS!

E

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

I'll give that a shot. I downloaded a trial version of Mach 5 Mailer 4 that has an interface that looks a lot like Outlook and was able to send a test email successfully. So, the pressure is off for sending the email merge today. That'll buy me 48 hrs to see what I can do with the database. Appreciate your help.

E

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We do this sort of thing on a fairly routine basis - two things that can cause the problem with the merge:
    - Having an application title that doesn't start with Microsoft Access
    - Using a secured database
    You may find our Word Merge Tutorial useful.
    Wendell