Star Lounger
    Thanks

SendTo Feature in Word (Word97 SR-1)

I'm running Windows XP. (I work with several clients who use different versions of Word and must use the one that they use.)

I can no longer use my File/Send feature in Word 97 to produce attach documents to an Outlook Email. The choice I now have is Exchange Server, but I don't have Exchange Server. I have regular Outlook email (cable connection). Exchange Server also comes up in Word 95. I also have WordXP, but I CAN send attachments from that program.

All of this started when I had problems with Outlook, but I have to confess, I don't know what I've done. I do know that I salvaged my Outlook files and everything runs well except for this shortcut from Word. That's very important, but I messed something up when I did the rescue. Any ideas? I really need to be able to send attachments from inside Word in both Word97 and Word95.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: SendTo Feature in Word (Word97 SR-1)

What version of Outlook are you running?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2002 SP-2.

Apparently, it's only connected to Office 10 now.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting problem, you should have a choice of MAPI service.

A search of MSKB suggests that the first step is to make sure that Outlook is set as your default e-mail program; open Internet Explorer, select Tools | Internet Options | Programs tab, in the E-mail list, click to select Microsoft Outlook (NOTOutlook Express), OK out. If that doesn't help, post back.

Do you have any 3rd party fax drivers or the Outlook Folder Back-Up Utility installed?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I already had Outlook chosen as my default e-mail program. I don't have a fax loaded, nor do I have a third party backup. I can't find any place where there is a choice for an MAPI service.

Thanks

Does it work properly if you open Windows Explorer, right-click a file, and choose Send To>Mail Recipient?

If so, might the problem only be cosmetic (i.e., wrong name but correct underlying functionality)?

You can try "resetting" your Word menus to their factory defaults, but this will destroy any customizations you've made. Of the many ways to do this, the easiest are either: (1) rename your Normal.dot template to oldNormal.dot and let Word create a new one; or (2) use Tools>Customize>Toolbars tab, highlight Menu bar>Reset.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

All the XP products (Windows and Word) work fine with the SendTo function. It's Word 95 and Word 97 that don't seem to be wired properly. They are sure that I'm using Microsoft Exchange SErver instead of the MAPI service. I can't find any place to change the setting.

Since I'm transfering files back and forth from Word all day every day with a client who is still on Word 95, this is costing me time to have to get our of the document and go into OUtlook and attach the file.

I appreciate all the ideas. I can't stand for a machine to stump me.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It might not hurt to un-set Outlook as your mail program, save the change and then reset Outlook as your mail program.

The PST Back-up utility is actually a MS product, not a third party, but it's known to cause some problems.

I don't have access to Word 97; Word 2003 hasan "E-mail" option dialog under Tools | Options | General; I think it's new since XP but look in the Word 97 settings just in case.

Also, if you know how to get to the VBE, what happens when you enter

?Application.MAPIAvailable

You might also see if under Word 97 the MAPI service is listed somehow differently as an Application Property, and if so see what's returned.

You might also look through your registry for entries related to Exchange service, but I wouldn't change anything yet.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS