3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

stubborn error message (IE 6.0, all updates)

On one of my PCs (all with Win XP Home), IE 6 will occasionally post an error message that shows an "i" in a paper page icon with an error message that I can only partially read: "Internet Explorer was unable to lin ... requested. The page might be tem ..." [... indicates text outside of the error message window.] I have found no way to move or remove that icon except to reboot the PC. It does not show up in Windows Task Manager.
    Any ideas as to cause and removal?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: stubborn error message (IE 6.0, all updates)

When the error occurs, go to
    Control Panel>Administrative tools>Event Viewer> and click applications and system, to see if an error is logged when the problem showed up.
    At least this will give an indication of where the error is happening.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

I assume these are dialog pop-ups, and not web pages...

Many program dialogs are designed with certain parameters in mind, such as a small font size, because that's what the developers use. If you have boosted up the size of your fonts in Windows' display settings, this might affect those dialogs.

In some cases, you might be seeing Java dialogs, which typically have a very different, squared off look compared with Windows XP dialogs. If this sounds like it could be the problem, you might want to update your Java Runtime Engine (AKA Java Virtual Machine) to Sun's latest version and see if that helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip -- that's a new area to me. I found that there were 2,884 entries in the applications log. The one which came up when I was connecting to Woody's Lounge was an information error in ccPwdSvc, as most of the recent ones have been. The second most frequent were in EvntAgnt. Scattered throughout were some errors, with most recent ones occuring in various Norton AntiVirus routines. There were also many errors logged in the other two areas.

Practically, where does this leave me?

globalist

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, these are dialog popups, and not web pages or Java dialogs. I do use small font sizes.

globalist

Thanks

globalist,
    Much information points to the Worm, W32HLLW.TORVEL.B@MM, which affects ( or tries to ) the Symantec AV Program.
    OR possibly just the settings you have in the AV permissions.
    This is a post regarding ccPWDSvc:
    ---------------------------------
    Common Client Windows Account Validation Service. Task which is part of the Norton 2003/4 security products (AntiVirus, Personal Firewall, Internet Security) and used on Windows 2000/XP/2003. Although we are not 100% certain, from what we have observed CCPWDSVC is used when you configure the Norton Firewall to only allow access to the Internet to specific users. When that is the case, and when the Norton Firewall has been configured to check a user
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I have been running the Norton AntiVirus check (full system) weekly, and it hasn't found anything. I also run Adaware regularly. Today I installed and ran Spybot as well (had on main system, which I am currently rebuilding after a major failure, which a friend told me was likely caused by a Synmantec update error 1 1/2 weeks ago). I repeated all three today, and Norton AntiVirus (I don't have any other Norton software on my system) gave a clean bill of health. The other two found the usual spyware culprits, which I again eliminated.

I have been using the Norton on-line utility to check my Norton installations. It found major problems on my failed PC, but not on this one and my others. [One web site whose usage generates the "sticky" error message is Woody's Lounge.]