Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using OE on 2 networked computers (6.00.2800.1123)

I am running two computers on ADSL, both connected to the same router. One is my main computer, on which I download and send all my mail. The other, I have not used for mail, and OE is not even configured. My question is, is there a way of setting things up so that all mail appears in OE on both computers, but mail is prevented from arriving only in the second computer if the main computer is not switched on? Also, if I send an email from my second computer, I want it to appear in the Sent folder in OE on my main computer.

In other words, I don't want the situation where turning only the second computer on and opening OE will result in messages downloading, so that these messages do not appear in OE on the main computer, when that is later switched on.

Ideally, I want to be able to open and send mail from either computer, but not if that ends up in OE having different stuff in it on the different computers, depending on which computer was used to download or send mail. I want to be able to use either computer to receive or send mail, and for both computers to have identical OE files and folders, regardless of which one was used to send or receive mail. Mirror OEs on both computers, I suppose it amounts to.

I've never felt so inarticulate in my life! If anyone can understand what I'm trying to say, would be appreciative of advice.

Thanks

Re: Using OE on 2 networked computers (6.00.2800.1123)

Unfortunately, it is not easy to do everything you want automatically.

Let's start with an important distinction: if you have a POP3 account with your ISP, your mail exists on the ISP's server only temporarily, stored there until downloaded to one or more of your computers. There is no server-side Sent Items folder. If, on the other hand, you have an IMAP account with your ISP, your mail folders are on the ISP's server, and you can view, delete, copy, etc., from any computer. Your Sent Items are stored in a folder on the server.

Most people have POP3 accounts and simple, single-user mail client software. That's why the system you're describing is difficult to implement: each mail client stores messages in its own folders, rather than in a central, shared location.

Here are some thoughts:
    1. <LI>Configure both computers to leave mail on the server after downloading for a reasonable period. This period should be long enough to be certain that both computers will have retrieved mail within that time. The period should not be so long that your ISP mailbox fills up. By doing this, you can retrieve mail onto the second computer without deleting it from the server. It still will be there for the main computer to download later. And vice versa.

<LI>When sending mail from your second computer, CC yourself. Set up a rule on the main computer to sort a message from you with a CC to you into your Sent Items folder. (I assume this is possible, but can't be certain since I haven't tried to set up rules in OE.) It's a hassle to remember to do this, but otherwise, there's no way you can get it into your Sent Items folder on the main computer. Under this system, there's a duplicate copy of the message in the Inbox on the second computer, but no other solution comes to mind. (To be completely parallel, you'd have to mimic this system on the other computer, too, which would put the duplicate messages into the Sent Items folder.)
    Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using OE on 2 networked computers (6.00.2800.1123)

Thanks a lot, Jefferson. My server is pop3, as you suspected. I will try your suggestions. Appreciated.