Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

New Install Problems

I have been doing some work on someone's box, and their new install of W98 is a bit of a mess. They have 2 HDs and prior to the reinstall D: was used as a mirror backup of C:. Apparently, 98 would not install on C: (because it found a Windows on D: ???) so it did it ended up installed on D:. Office2000 SR-1 was then installed, as well as a couple of other apps. Unfortunately I didn't realize this, being able to see a Windows folder on C: also, and assuming that Windows always installed to C:. I subsequently installed some other software onto C:, all the while wondering why the heck everything was wanting to put itself on D:. This is now a bigger mess, with who-knows-how-many things not working properly. For instance, I couldn't restart in DOS mode because C:WINDOWSCOMMAND.COM wasn't found.

OK, that's the backdrill. What I'm wanting to do now is to migrate the lot to C: (as if D: doesn't even exist) and get everything pointing to the right places on C drive. I have heard of the utility Change of Address - coa2, which supposedly enables you to change the locations of installed programs - I don't know how good it is or whether it would work for Windows itself, or Office2000. I think there's another similar free utility, but the name eludes me. So what's the best strategy here? As a last resort I could swap the IDE cables, but I'd prefer to get everything onto C: What I can't do is a reinstall of W98 or Office, since these belong to his employer and I don't have assess to those particular CDs.

Would it be viable to move all files/folders of relevance to C: and do "some sort of" global replace of D: to C:? Remembering that D: will eventually become a mirror again, could I use something like RegSeeker to actually correct links, pointers etc. from D: to C:? I'm a bit lost on this one, so advice from the wise would be much appreciated.

thanks

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New Install Problems

I think you'll be in for a rather bumpy road, Alan. I've only tried it twice over the years and it was back in the Win95 and early Win98 era. Both times left me with so many niggling problems that I ended up doing clean installs. The only product I've used was (I think) the thing called Drive Mapper that comes along with PowerQuest's Partition Magic. I've not tried the brute-force updating of the registry simply because I was too nervous to give that a shot. I suppose that there are better editors available these days that might have a chance at success. My two examples were a combination of what you're dealing with. One was a machine where the OS had "accidently" been installed on a D: drive and the next time (my own machine) I wanted to get rid of a D: drive that had a lot of apps installed, moving everything to a larger C: drive. For me, it left a bad taste and I wouldn't try it again, even now.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

Because there are so few things actually installed so far - W98, Office2000, Sophos AV and Mozilla - I'd be willing to chance my hand at moving everything of relevance to C: and doing a global search & replace. In other words, all "D:" references become "C:". I'm sure a few minor things like desktop shortcuts will break, but I'd happily fix them manually. I found Registrar Lite, which offers "background search and replace" and might be able to do the hard yards. Any opinions on this program? Also, I guess I'd need to move all files in the root directory of D: to C: - correct?

thanks

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds good on the surface of it Alan, but like in the area of root directory files on D: you'll have to be careful WHAT files and in some cases, like MSDOS.SYS, what the content might be. I would think that some of the files will be dupes of files already on C: and maybe won't have to be copied. It'll probably be a file-by-file analysis, but there shouldn't be too many in that category. At one time, I downloaded and tried Registrar Lite but it's been a long time and I can't tell you anything about it. You don't by any chance already have something like System Mechanic, do you? Even then, I've never looked to see if it does global search and replace. Well, good luck to ya!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Alan:
    I never had the courage to use coa2, but like many utilities, I downloaded it sometime ago. I've heard good things about it, & I know that Neil Reubenking has a good reputation. I don't recall whether it is supposed to work with Windows itself or just installed programs. I had always thought that Windows would look to the master/slave relationship in determining which drive was primary for installation, but I guess not. Good luck & keep us posted.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil

I guess this brings up another query. Is it possible that the HD that Windows chose to install to was/is in fact set to be master? Could this explain why it chose D: instead of C:? And if so, is this yet another issue to be addressed? I thought that the physically designated master would always be C: (as determined by jumper settings). And I must confess that I don't know whether each HD is on its own IDE or if they're piggybacked off the one.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Alan:
    I think you'll have to physically take a look at the jumper settings to see which is set as master or slave. It dosen't have to be C:, although it usually is.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, Windows (or DOS) will always assign C: to the master drive on the primary IDE chain. The D: drive in your case could be the master on the secondary IDE chain and possibly the CD drive is the secondary slave. Be that as it may, I don't think the jumpering had anything to do with WHY Windows was installed on the D: drive. It's been awhile since I've installed Win98, but I think if it detects an existing copy, it will let the user choose a new location for the second install. Either someone chose the D: or Windows proposed it and the user said OK. As long as the machine is operating properly, I don't think you need to pull the covers and check jumpers.