New Lounger
    Thanks

Initial Install probs (XP)

I've had Office Xp on my system for a while, without Outlook as I use Opera (OK - hold the flame). Recently aquired a phone with Outlook compatible calendar functions, so thought I'd install it just for that function. Installed via CD onto drive, selected Outlook from Start menu and receive the following message:

"Unable to open default email folders. Could not open the item. Try Again"
    Then:
    "Would you like to open your default File System folder instead?"
    Choose No - thing dies!
    Choose Yes - Outlook opens but with nothing in it, eg WinExplor view, and following:
    "Unable to start processing services. Could not open the item, try again"

Any ideas on a fix, or am I missing something *real* simple?? (Which is quite possible.... nuff said!)

Cheers,
    M

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Initial Install probs (XP)

You'll need to create yourself an e-mail account. Make sure that under Tools|Options|Mail Setup you do NOT checked the Send|Receive box for when you start up Outlook. As a further measure, under Tools|E-Mail Accounts (or is it Tools|Options|Mail Setup) make sure that the option Leave Copy of Message on Server IS checked. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have this exact same problem but don't understand how to set up the email account because either Outlook doesn't open (as you said) or I don't have the option under tools to set it up. Did you ever resolve this issue? How? Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have this exact same problem but don't understand how to set up the email account because either Outlook doesn't open or I don't have the option under tools to set it up. How can I set up my email account if it won't let me access Tools/Options? T

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have a "Mail" applet installed under Control Panel? If so, you may be able to access setting up an account from there. HTH
    Gre