5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best approach (Access 03)

I have a main form = frmEmployees. On a tab control I have frmSalary, on that there is subfrmSalary which then has subfrmSalarylisting.
    These are all tied together using EmployeeID.

frmSalary is to allow me to tied in to a job action ID table which is autonumbering any job actions taken. The tblJobActionID will be accessed by a series of different tables to retreive a jobactionID number for different types of actions such as changes in salary, disciplianary action, title changes, etc. Later then I can pull all job actions and report them by employee. On frmSalary there are three controls JobActionID, EmployeeID, and JobAction.

On this first sub form, frmSalary currently JobActionID displayes the first JobActionID for that employee. I want nothing showing in the JobActionID and JobAction. How do I best do this? I put DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec in the Open event for frmSalary. Which works when the frmEmployee is open. It doesn't if you change to a new employee.

My bottom line question, I guess, is how is the best way to have a sub form always come up ready to accept new data and not show previous data? And once you change to a different employee using a combo box as a locator do you get the controls again change and be clear?

Thanks Fay

Thanks

Re: Best approach (Access 03)

If you always want the form to be for new data, have you tried setting the Data Entry property? (for the form the subform is based on)
    Bryan,
    Not the smartest critter on the glacier. . .
    . . .but I'm persistent (does that count?)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bless you. There are so many different ends and outs of Access it always leaves me frustrated and looking stupid, but persistent. Thank you for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I got the above working. But now what happens when I enter the job action on the frmSalary and tab to the next cell to enter data the top form goes back to Autonumber and the JobActionID number is not transferred to the next subform. It did appear on the subform up to the point of tabbing. What is going on? Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By tabbing out of JobAction, you probably jumped to a new record. If you don't want this to happen, set the Cycle property of frmSalary (in the Other tab of the Properties window) to Current Record instead of All Records.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. As always you have the answer and I appreciate your assistance. Fay