3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

old after new software (winXP xp1)

Not sure if this belongs here or not. I have two hard drives for my laptop with different versions of office loaded. I inadvertently installed an add-in for office 2003 on the Office 2000 installation. When I uninstalled it and reinstalled the right version, it tells me that I'm trying to install an add-in for a previous version. Is this a registry issue? If so, do you think a registry cleaner like perhaps System Mechanic would take care of the problem? Or, perhaps the thing to do is uninstall and reinstall Office 2000. Or perhaps doing a system restore? Do you have a recommendation for me? Am I in the right forum? Appreciate your expertise!

Eli

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: old after new software (winXP xp1)

You didn't specify which add-in it was, that's why it is difficult to say what the cause of your problem is.

Generally, if your installation contains Office 2000 and doesn't contain Office 2003, delete Registry keys

HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0
    HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0

and all subkeys. I don't know about System Mechanic, but generally all "Registry cleaning" programs have bad habits to delete keys necessary for proper functioning of your system.

I hope it will help you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the 2nd to the worst case you could uninstall office totally and use a MS office removal tool found on their web site to get all the bits and pieces that MS knows it leaves behind after an uninstall then re-install.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used a restore point to back up to a point before the install. Thanks for the info re the registry cleaners.

E