Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

updating .dll files

Hiya

We have upgraded software on our pcs, OfficeXP and a new document management system 'Hummmingbird DMS', on Windows NT4.0 & Windows 2000. since upgrading we have noticed serious performance issues with both these applications.
    I've been monitoring the performance of the pc & these app's & its revealed that theres a performance hit due to the way the applications searches for the .dll's and .exe's.

I have a list of the .dlls. These .dlls are very old versions of files, some .dll files dating back to 14.10.1996. Other times the .dlls dont exist on the C: drive.

Would it be easy to obtain the latest version of .dlls & just place them on the pc's & see if that makes a difference to performance,(of course i'll make a backup of these .dll files) or will it totally stuff the pc?
    Is there a .dll web site I can pick up these .dlls & what their functions are?

many thanks & regards
    Diana

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: updating .dll files

I'm not entirely clear here. What applications are you referring to that search for DLL and EXE files? How did you make the determination that the performance hit your are experiencing is based on an application search for these things? DLLs should load into memory and remain resident.

I will say right up front that it is not wise to just place DLL files on a computer. DLL files often exist in specific versions that are tied to one another, and they must also be registered with the operating system. Yes, you can find DLL downloads all over the Internet, but I think before you start going down this road a little more information on the nature of the problem and how you made this determination would be extremely beneficial.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

hi mark

i have a tool 'Filemon.exe' which is an application that monitors and displays all file system activity on a system. It has advanced filtering and search capabilities that make it a powerful tool for exploring the way Windows works, seeing how applications use the files and DLLs, or tracking down problems in system or application configurations.
    Filemon works on NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows ME

so i've used filemon to monitor the applications OfficeXP - specifically WordXP & monitor our upgraded document management Hummingbird DMS. It logs all the .dlls & .exes called & used , so i've just checked the .dll's date & time stamps & versions. one of the test i was going to do was upgrade the .dll files & see if there is a noticeable difference in performance.

Diana

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah yes, Filemon. I am quite familiar with the tool, it's a great one. I have my doubts that changing DLL versions is going to make much of a difference in performance, though. What, specifically, suffers here? Is it Word, Hummingbird, both? Can you describe the nature of the problem in more detail?

In the meantime I would suggest defragmenting the hard drive, just to see if there's a difference. Also, what kind of hardware are you running the software on?
    -Mark

Thanks

I will ask the obvious and say, do you have the latest versions of Office and Word and any other apps you are are running?
    Just upgrading the DLLs might get you in worse shape than you were in before.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

You might turn off DOCS/Hummingbird and test Office XP without it, to see if you can better isolate the problem as between your applications. Also, check your paths to see if you are loading anything from the server that could more efficiently be loaded from the local disk.

As for changing DLLs, make an image backup first, as you might need it to resolve any resulting "DLL hell" situation.