2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File->Open Very Slow (Word 2000/2002)

I have documents coming from 1 subcontractor that take forever to open or sometimes do not open at all, just eventually freeze Word. I was told this may be because there is a link in the document to a network resource that is not available on the system they are being opened on.

If this is the case, is there some way I can instruct the subcontractor to save the documents so that this resource is not searched for upon opening on another systems?

Is there possibly some other explanation for this behavior?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: File->Open Very Slow (Word 2000/2002)

Presumably you can tell whether the subcontractor is using linked images, charts, etc. Here are some perhaps less obvious things:
    <UL><LI>One thing the subcontractor can try is to change the document's attached template to Normal (Tools>Templates and Add-ins...>Document Template) and then save that change before closing the document.

<LI>If the subcontractor uses custom SmartTags, or any SmartTags, they can be stripped from the document before being sent to you by turning off "Embed Smart Tags" (Tools>Options...>Save tab).[/list]Hope this helps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My firm had this problem with some older documents. Some documents were looking for a template that lived on an old (as in gone now) server. See KB Article 823372 for more on that problem. The biggest problem I have with Microsoft's "fix" for the issue is that you have to contact them (waste an hour) for them to send you the fix. If you could use Jefferson's suggestions, you would probably be much better off.

Becky

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jefferson has given you the hints to get you started but that doesn't solve the problem if your files are not fixed in advance of sending.

When I notice this problem and I can't be bothered waiting, my short term fix is to pull out the network cable which allows the file to open immediately (without the links loaded) and then plugging the cable back in.

Its a low-tech solution that has obvious drawbacks but at least you can get back to work in a hurry.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia