Star Lounger
    Thanks

Losing Data over network (XP/Access 2002)

Have an odd situation where some data on the odd ocassion is not being recorded in the backend - Split db mde front end - mdb back end on a server and the data is updated by form using the table as recordsource. (hence no update procedure etc)

The administrator has recently upgraded some PC's to XP and reinstalled access. I've never struck anything like this before and are not sure where to start looking... I'm not getting any error msg's to indicate the network has gone down or the like with the db.

Has anyone had any experience's of the like? if so appreciate any feedback or idea's.

Could it be network related in terms of a minor blimp that would drop the connection to the db and lose the data that has been entered?

Many Thanks for any help

Cheers
    Tony

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Losing Data over network (XP/Access 2002)

What O/S is the server running? Can the lost records be traced to any particular PC? Can you verify the records are really gone (I ask this because I had a customer who lost a record recently, turned-out a new person had accidentally changed the account name)?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think Mark's question is most pertinent. What do you mean by the data not being recorded? That usually means an operator error if there is no loss of the net connection. Access is *extremely* sensitive to hiccups in the network connection, but it refuses to suffer silently. You always get a message complaining about the loss of the connection. On the other hand, depending on how your tables are designed and how your forms behave, it is possible that an incomplete record was not saved. It is also possible that someone else overwrote the information. Without more details, we are just guessing.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark

The server is running W2K with Access 2002.

It it does appears that it is one particular user is having problems at present as no other's have been able to verify the error. We know that the data hasn't been updated as the specific records that they updated did not contain the changes that were made. It's not a new record, it is an existing record that has been modified.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

It relates to existing records that are being updated. There is a series of check box's that they sign off once the tasks are complete, the user has updated these box's to true yet when returning to the record the changes were not saved.

The design is pretty simple in terms of these fields are all in one table which is attached to the form as recordsource. This form has been in use for some time without any known problems before.

You mention "It is also possible that someone else overwrote the information" as there are 3-5 users updating the database during the day. This has me thinking that maybe it is record locking?? At the moment the users get the "can't save changes" message if someone else is editing the record, it's a small operation and hence they manage these. Is it possible that somehow this message may not be returned when the record is updated? What is the best method to deal with this situation where user's maybe want to be updating the same records around the same time??

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned is an update being cancelled. That can happen because the user presses the ESC key at some point, or because code sends the ESC key in some odd circumstance, or because of error handling that is going awry. These are fairly remote cases based on how you described the situation, but they should be considered.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Given you responses to Charlotte and me, my thinking is that you should concentrate on what that one particular user is doing. As Wendell mentioned, it is possible the user is unknowingly canceling the updates, or is doing something out of the ordinary that in turn cancels the update.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not recordlocking, but there are other ways to overwrite data, particularly if the application is not split into a separate front and back end.
    Charlotte