5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP reinstall, programs won't install (XP)

Hi,
    Not too sure whether this is the correct forum to run this through, but here goes...............
    I've recently had to reformat my HD and reinstall windows xp professional. I'm running:
    Windows XP Pro
    Asus A7V266VM motherboard
    256 DDR
    60 GB harddrive
    Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Geforce 3 TI 200
    DX9 (newest version)

Since the re-install I've had problems installing certain games, namely Enter the Matrix, Need for Speed Underground.
    I know that these games run fine on my system as they were installed previous to the reformat. The only difference this time around is that apart from the Soundblaster drivers, XP has installed all the others. I have also partitioned the drives (named C & F) so that windows is installed on one drive and all my junk on the other (games, documents, music etc).

The errors relate to DLL files or movie files. Surely this can't be directed at the fact that possibly incompatible drivers are on the video card? I would have presumed that the actual installation literally just installed the actual program onto the HD and then any problems with the hardware would be picked up when the program was running! The Geforce 3 has had no problems (previous to the install) with running DX9, so I don't think the problem is there. It also doesn't have problems running newer programs. The only thing I am missing is the control panel for the Geforce card that was the previous drivers.

I've defragged the HD, Scandisk, ChkDisk (the thing that scans the partitions for errors) but no problems there.

Anybody got any ideas? Would it be the video card or is it more serious?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP reinstall, programs won't install (XP)

My first suggestion is to update all drivers to the latest release available, including video, and to make sure you are fully patched and service-packed. It could indeed be the video drivers that are causing you problems, so start there.

It would also be helpful if you could provide some specific error messages; they exist to tell you what is not working. The more detail you can provide on what the errors are, the closer a solution gets.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, this surprises me that the drivers would have that effect on essentially data being installed onto the harddrive.
    I shall try updated the drivers when I get home (at work at the mo) and then I'll write down the errors on the installs and post them (unless they disappear!)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Couple more things:

When you install the program, do it from Control Panel (Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add New Programs button on the left pane | CD or Floppy button | Next | Browse)

If you installed older programs (designed for Windows Me, 98, 95 or earlier) try to run them from Compatibility Wizard (Start | All Programs | Accessories | Program Compatibility Wizard).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks for your help, reinstalling a different version of the card drivers worked! Much to my surprise...............