2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

can't get to files on desktop from laptop

I brought my new laptop and router home last night. I am able to get to the internet via my laptop but I can't figure out how to set it up so that I can each computer can see the files stored on the other. Both are XP. From the My Network Places screen, I went through the Setup home network wizard and named the laptop and the desktop and the network. The name I gave for the network doesn't stay on the laptop - when I went through the wizard again, it was back to the default MSHOME. When I click on My Network places on the laptop, all I see is "Shared Docs on Laptop". On the desktop, via My Network Places, I see "Shared Docs on Desktop" and "Shared Docs on Laptop" but I get a network path not found error when I click in the latter. When I view my connections on the desktop all I see is LAn enabled. Whe I view connections on the laptop, I see wireless network and 1394 enabled but LAN says network cable unplugged.
    Do I need a an actual cable connecting the 2 PCs to be able to access files on both from both? Do I need to designate the files as shared in their properties? What is a 1394 connection?

I know there are a million questions within this post and that I'm missing huge chunks of important info. Thanks for any help or liks to other posts in which these questions have already been answered.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: can't get to files on desktop from laptop

One thing you need to do one each computer is to share the drives or folders that you want to access across the network. If in Windows Explorer you were to right click a drive or folder and the select "Sharing and security entry, and follow the instructions.

As for the names NOT sticking, try a shorter name.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Might this help?
    Also, Carey Holzman's site has good troubleshooting tips.

Thanks

I'm probably missing something as you didn't describe your router in any detail...

First, are all of your computers connected in some fashion to the router? For example, either by network cable or with a wireless connection? Most routers allow for multiple computers to connect so that you can use them for home networking, but some don't, so the model number might be helpful.

Second, do all of your computers see the Internet? This would show that the network components you need (TCP/IP) are installed correctly.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Both computers are Dells and the router is a Dell 2300 (I believe that is the number).
    It is a wireless router.

Yes - I can get to the internet from both computers

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had to uninstall the McAfee Firewall on both the desktop and the laptop and now everything works beautifully.
    McAfee has custom configuration settings that will let the firewall be re-installed while still letting the home network function properly.

Thanks all.