2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Website link in Outlook shortcuts (OL 2003)

OK - I must have been sleeping. I can not figure out how to create a link to a web page or even to a document on my drive in the OL 2003 shortcut pane. OL seems to want only existing OL folders? This used to be possible in XP and earlier versions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Website link in Outlook shortcuts (OL 2003)

Ah Ha! You solved it! The trick is to send a web site link to the desktop then drag that into the shortcut bar. But it really disturbs me why Microsoft would eliminate this functionality without really telling anybody. I wonder why they would do that? It was so easy in the past to set up your major web sites and to use Outlook as the browser for your simple surfing needs. Maybe Microsoft does not want Outlook to be used as the browser in the future for some reason.

Thanks for your suggestion.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John, for the clarification on the shortcuts to files and folders. Maybe some MSFTer can explain why MSFT made it so difficult!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 28-May-04 16:03. )</P>I don't see how to do it easily either, and the Help didn't.

However, I can create a shortcut to a link on the Desktop and drag it onto any Group Header in the Shortcuts bar, and then delete the source Desktop Shortcut to the URL, and the Outlook Shortcut still works.

Shortcuts to files and folders can be created by dragging them from the file or file folder directly from File Explorer to a Group Header in the Outlook Shortcuts Pane. (I found that a Shortcut to a file or file folder created by dragging a Desktop Shortcut to Outlook Shortcuts refers to the Desktop Shortcut, not the referenced file or folder, and if the Desktop Shortcut is deleted, the Outlook shortcut ceases to work.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll pass it along, thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

In Office 2007 Outlook uses the Word rendering engine which is much simpler and much less full featured than IE. As a result you may not be able to successfully render many web sites.

Joe
    Joe