Thread: faxing (A2000)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

faxing (A2000)

Hi,
    I'm trying to fax a report through a shared fax on a server running SBS2000, using the DoCmd.SendObject line from a form button. The document (.rtf) ends up in the LOCAL Outlook outbox. The only installed printer is the shared fax on the server, though there will be a local printer installed as well. This is a remote workstation connecting to the server over a broadband VPN. I am hoping to send the doc to the server Outlook program, and let it handle the queing and faxing.

Any ideas on what I've missed? Any help is appreciated, as always.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: faxing (A2000)

Shouldn't you use DoCmd.PrintOut instead of DoCmd.SendObject? SendObject will generate an e-mail with the report as attachment, whereas if the report is set to print to the fax, PrintOut should generate the correct output.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. When setting the report to print to the shared fax and using PrintOut, it starts the fax wizard. I am looking to pass the fax number from a combo box where the user chooses the recipient name, clicks the FAX button, and off it goes. Using the code below

DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "rptERATrans", acFormatRTF, "[fax: " & Me.cmbFaxTo.Column(2) & "]", , , , , False

does send it to outlook as an attachment to an email, addressed to the passed fax number, which outlook then sends when send/recieve is called manually or by setting the outlook option to send every x minutes. The bummer is that the remote workstations local outlook software grabs it instead of the server.

Driving me nuts...

Thanks,
    Dave P.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I have no experience with this kind of thing. I hope somebody else will be able to help you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all, Hans. I'm sure I'll figure it out, or get to work on a workaround....

Dave

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Folks,
    I've found that to fax an Access report via a remote VPN through a shared fax on a server (sbs2000), the local machine needs Outlook configured for faxing through the shared fax by default. The local Outlook then initiates the fax, pipes it through the server, and out it goes.

Glad this one's figured out, on to the next...

Thank you,
    Dave P.