3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing Office 2002 Professional (Office 2002 Professional SP-2)

Outlook has been really slow in sending and receiving email, so I ran a virus scan and then ran Spybot to see if I had picked up something that would cause this. Neither McAfee nor Spybot found anything wrong in my computer.

I tried to run Detect and Repair in Outlook and received this message.

This patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

Next, I decided to remove Office 2002 and reinstall it. I received this same message.

The next thing I tried was using Microsoft's Office Download site to see if I needed some update....received the same message.
    Any ideas? I have administrative provileges on my computer; it is used at home and not in an office environment. I am networked to one other home computer.
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Thanks

Re: Removing Office 2002 Professional (Office 2002 Professional SP-2)

When the Windows Installer updates Windows or Office, it typically stashes a bunch of files for future reference. That way, if you applied Service Pack 1, for example, and then install a new feature from CD, the installer can dynamically update the files from the CD with anything that changed in SP1. From the message you posted, it sounds as though the installer's cache of files got damaged or was deleted somehow.

For many versions of Office, Microsoft has offered an "eraser" utility (mentioned previously in the Lounge, but I forget its full name) to fully and completely destroy the bits and pieces. I don't know whether that would also clear out the record of your having downloaded patches and service packs for Office, but I think it's your best bet.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would say that it was your server and/or McAfee that is slow, NOT Outlook.
    Try turning OFF McAfee to see if the speed comes back. Just make sure that you turn it back on or get a different AV after testing.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I decided to go online (I have cable) and check my email through the cable company web site. There were four pieces of Spam. I deleted them and now my email download is okay.
    The problem with being able to repair or remove my Office software remains. I need to find a way to uninstall Office 2002 because our college is upgrading to Office 2003 and I need to install that software.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to locate this Office "eraser" and see if that helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

2003 can be installed over 2002, but the install will do the removing as required. I have done the on many machines with out a hitch.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.