New Lounger
    Thanks

Mailmerge w/Excel Data (Word 2003)

We are running into three problems (thusfar) merging Excel data into Word documents:

(1) The cell format for the numbers we are merging were originally formatted as Accounting, including $ and commas and multiple numbers past the decimal. Therefore, when we merge with Word, the number comes across as 3555755.12233565 instead of 3,555,755.12.

(2) The date formats were originally typed into Excel as 5/15/04, but we need it merged into Word as May 15, 2004. I have re-formatted the cells in Excel and re-typed the dates as desired, but when the merge is completed, it is still 5/15/04. (Yes, I re-selected the data source just in case it was a memory issue.)

(3) Our Excel document, out of necessity, needs to be set to read only. Sometimes it will merge anyway, others it won't.

Does anyone have a solution for these problems? We have a huge deal coming up and are trying to prepare for a minimum period of document production. Thanks for all of your help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailmerge w/Excel Data (Word 2003)

You can format merge fields in Word. Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. You will see for example { MERGEFIELD MyNumber }

For numbers, insert # followed by a number format before the closing bracket }
    For example: { MERGEFIELD MyNumber # "$#,##0.00" }

For dates, insert @ followed by a date format before the closing bracket }
    For example: { MERGEFIELD MyDate @ "MMM d, yyyy" }

When you're done, press Alt+F9 again to hide field codes. The online help contains more info about formatting field codes.

Another possibility is to use another way of connecting to the spreadsheet. Select Tools | Options... and activate the General tab. Tick the "Confirm conversion at Open" check box, then click OK. The next time you select the data source for a mail merge, you will be prompted which methode you want to use. Try the conversion or DDE methods, they will probably preserve the Excel formatting. I don't know if they will solve your read-only problem, just experiment.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailmerge w/Excel Data (Word 2003)

Edited to correct mistake
    Answer to Question 1: Use a numeric picture switch in your merge field.
    1. In the mail merge main document, press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes.
    2. You will have a field that looks something like: { MERGEFIELD NameOfField } Put the insertion point after the name of the field, type a space & then type "# $ ###,###,###.##" (no quotes). This should format the field the way you want. You can look up in Word help under "general switches" for additional information.

Answer to Question 2: Use a date/time switch in your merge field.
    1. In the mail merge main document, press Alt+F9 to reveal field codes.
    2. 2. You will have a field that looks something like: { MERGEFIELD NameOfField } Put the insertion point after the name of the field, type a space & then type "@ MMM dd, yyyy" (no quotes).

re Question 3: Sorry. I don't have an answer as I haven't used Word 2003.